Creating is like a dance - JBlunt Designs
Joshua Blunt, JBlunt Designs, is designing and making handcrafted, hypoallergenic rings. The first ring he made was for his wife and now, 11 years later, he has an entire collection of 250+ unique hypoallergenic rings. We decided to learn more about this creative man, who’s making such beautiful handcrafted rings that holds so much love and memories for his customers.
Tell us about you and your family.
My name is Joshua Blunt, I’m 44 years old, married with 6 children. I’m a 3rd generation Southern California native. My family and I enjoy spending our free time at the beach and playing in the water together.
How did you begin designing rings?
This journey all started when my girlfriend, now wife, wanted a ring to signify our relationship. The only trouble is she was and is still allergic to most alloys, therefore can only wear hypoallergenic jewelry. It just so happened at the time I was working with 304/316 stainless on a daily basis as an engineer and food-grade welder. I made her first ring out of 316L stainless welding rod.
11 years later I have an entire collection of 250+ unique, completely handcrafted, hypoallergenic rings. I design and make every ring from start to finish with the greatest of pride and craftsmanship.
Can you talk us through your design process?
The design process starts with an idea or thought, sometimes deriving from a previous design and or a collaboration with the customer. At this point drawings come into effect along with my photography from my already existing Collection. I create by working with the flow of patterns and colors and shapes from the specific alloys chosen from the design intended. But when creating a new design for the collection strictly out of my own creativity I can already see the design in my head which is 90% of the finished piece, the other 10% is just getting it onto paper.
While physically designing the piece almost always hiccups will occur but that’s when the real creativity comes into play.
To me creating is like a dance, there’s passion, an idea and purpose with a beautiful flow within the process and contentment upon completion.
What is your passion for your work.
I believe that we were all created to be creative and to create. I consider it an honor to create rings that holds such a great significance to others.
Do you have any favorite memories or “love stories” from some of your customers?
I have a specific couple that comes to mind. A couple that frequently sends me pictures of them and their rings while traveling the world. It brings me so much joy seeing them in their matching anniversary rings enjoying life together.
Why do you choose to use our stainless Damascus patterned steel?
I’ve chosen to work solely with Damasteel’s stainless damascus since 2011 for a number of reasons. I choose to use only Damasteel’s stainless austenitic damascus due to its hypoallergenic properties which means no corrosion or allergic responses. Damasteel’s process in which they create their damascus provides a superior tightness in grain pattern that I can rely on. I have never had to experience delamination, or a less than superb product. Simply put, I can trust Damasteel and have no reason to look further.
To me creating is like a dance, there's passion, an idea and purpose with a beautiful flow within the process and contentment upon completion.
Why do you think more and more people ordering rings in Damascus patterned steel?
I believe the shift in damascus style alloy has been popularized through things like tv shows as well as the need and desire for uniqueness in especially men’s jewelry.
What advice would you give people entering the realm of jewelry design today?
I really believe, in order to be successful, you need to be creative, not allowing others to dictate your creativity. But instead using your own skills and imagination into each piece you design.
What can we look forward to next?
JBlunt Designs is constantly evolving and always coming up with new ways to meet people’s jewelry needs in order to exceed my customer’s expectations. I have just recently incorporated the use of settings and stones in addition to expanding our abilities with laser welding. My passion to incorporate damasteel with other exotic alloys has shifted my Collection more towards elaborate pieces that have a complex flowing artistic feel and signature uniqueness to my designs.
JBlunt Designs, Inc.